DDMD as showcase?

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:13:09 PST 2014

Firstly is there some progress on the DDMD project or maybe an other D
boostrap?

There is a lot of thread and debate around the GC of D, I interrogate me
on the capacity of a project like DDMD to prove to every D users that
the GC is perfectly usable for system applications. If not it will
certainly be improve during the DDMD development to a point can satisfy
almost everybody?

As I know DMD doesn't release memory, these will have to be fixed in
DDMD to match the memory management most application have to apply.

I see many interesting points in DDMD :
  - prove GC based compiler isn't longer to optimize than the C++
version (and capable to reach same performances)
  - will reveal more language issues or phobos miss.
  - will be easier to maintain and update