One more question - an untapped audience.

Daniel Murphy yebbliesnospam at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 19:58:04 PST 2014

"Adam Wilson"  wrote in message news:op.xa21zpux707hn8 at invictus.hra.local...
Building a new IDE won't solve this problem. Here we need to focus on
> building better tools for D, turning DMD itself into a library or
> Compiler-as-a-Service in the current lingo, since libraries are now
> "services". D needs to make great strides in tooling to be relevant, we
> need first-class debugging, and they need to support more than the
> terminal. We need D as library, we need better IDE integrations.

I don't know if you've been following recent activity on the compiler, but
we are finally making progress in this direction.  One of the things on my
todo list (after the switch to D is complete) is to start making the
lexer/parser usable outside the compiler.

> We need a  broader standard library. We need more bindings for
> existing libraries. We need more new libraries (like the Aurora library
> I am working on).

I'm starting to think phobos should not exist in its current form, and it
should just be a set of 'officially blessed' dub packages that meet certain
usefulness, API, performance and stability criteria.