Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Tue Feb 11 01:42:42 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 02:15:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 2/10/14, 6:24 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>> No, I don't think it is only a matter of resources. For
>> instance, if I
>> had the time
>
> Oh, the unbelievable irony.

Not really. If you have too many outstanding issues it means you
have added to many features. It means you failed to do feature
freeze at an earlier stage.

It could also mean that you don't give priority to mentoring.
Sometimes it is better to let your best people do mentoring and
help bringing "master level students" up to speed.

People are not loyal to a project. People are loyal to other
people. If a mentor invests time in you, you will feel a social
debt. This is the principle of gifting.

You can create a strategy for mentoring. One obvious one is to
focus on making the code base suitable for academia. Then you can
offer supervision of master students. Academics love to have good
external supervisors taking some load off their backs. That means
lowering the requirements for compilation speed in order to get
in some high level optimization and other features that you
cannot otherwise have.

You can give priority to getting in support for more social
bonding between developers, like give priority to an IDE that
supports CSCW style collaboration (seeing the code view of
others). With Skype that could make pair programming (from XP)
possible.

There are many options.