DDMD as showcase?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Feb 11 06:08:25 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 12:07:35 UTC, Flamaros wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 04:19:12 UTC, Daniel Murphy
> wrote:
>> "Xavier Bigand"  wrote in message
>> news:ldbpum$1pov$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> Firstly is there some progress on the DDMD project or maybe
>>> an other D boostrap?
>>
>> The old ddmd project is pretty much dead AFAIK
>> (http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddmd) and was never up to
>> date with the current compiler.
>>
>> For about a year I've been working on automatically converting
>> the compiler source from C++ to D.
>>
>> The conversion has produced a working compiler on
>> win32/linux32/linux64 (other platforms need trivial patches)
>> that compiles druntime/phobos/the test suite without errors.
>>
>> The current effort is around cleaning up the C++ source to
>> produce higher quality D code.  The next major step is to
>> actually switch development to the D version.
>>
>> Outstanding patches:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1980
>>
>> Conversion tool:
>> https://github.com/yebblies/magicport2
>>
>> You can see some of the recent patches (marked DDMD) here:
>> https://github.com/yebblies?tab=contributions&period=monthly
>>
>>> There is a lot of thread and debate around the GC of D, I
>>> interrogate me on the capacity of a project like DDMD to
>>> prove to every D users that the GC is perfectly usable for
>>> system applications. If not it will certainly be improve
>>> during the DDMD development to a point can satisfy almost
>>> everybody?
>>
>> There are no planned GC modifications for the DDMD project.
>> It may result in some compiler devs taking more of an interest
>> in the GC.
>
> That the idea. In all cases we need some proof of the validity
> of having a GC in a system language.

It has already been proven by Oberon, Modula-3 and Sing# among
others.

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~savage/papers/Wcsss96m3os.pdf

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/Singularity/

The Oberon one, as even used by ETHZ employees as workstations in
mid-90's.

That no OS vendor pushed a mainstream OS with them is another
matter.

--
Paulo