One more question - an untapped audience.

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Feb 11 10:13:43 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 17:40:29 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 11:00:18 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 05:03:29 UTC, Mike Parker
>> wrote:
>>>

>> The most important thing for newbies, either new to the
>> language or new to programming, is "instant gratification". If
>> it compiles and works, people are more likely to be
>> enthusiastic about it. Give them useful examples and use cases
>> and they will begin to see how useful programming is and start
>> thinking about applications, however trivial they may be, they
>> can write themselves for their own personal use (a little
>> clock, a calculator for VAT ...) In this way they will start
>> to think as both developer and user, add features, go ever
>> deeper into programming. Creating useful things, that's what
>> it's all about, isn't it?
>
> Thanks for your last paragraph. That's what I was talking about.

Well this is pretty much why I got confused by initial question -
it does not have much to do with D itself. It would have fitted
more some kind of educational psychology newsgroup or something
like that. Language specifics don't have much impact here, it is
something that students start to recognise only after they have
been deep into programming for some time already.