Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Feb 11 11:31:10 PST 2014

On 2/11/14, 10:55 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 18:50:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> One simple example: specific regressions and blockers in bugzilla.
>
> Are those the same as the one's which are marked as bounties?

No.

> It could
> be that those problems are simply hard to fix. Many of them seem to be
> backend or debugging-related bugs. I'm saying not many people know how
> to fix these.

1. Not at all. Many were trivial issues technically. Walter and I fixed
a few ourselves in short time. Kenji also is very active on those. For
other contributors, there is no clear message of how damaging
regressions are and how they delay our releases.

2. People work on harder problems. As an example I learned about
literally yesterday: Martin Nowak is working on a REPL for D. Was it on
our roadmap? No, not on the short list, not even on a longer list if
there was one. Would I tell Martin to do a REPL? No. Would I tell Martin
to drop work on the REPL and work on higher-impact items such as shared
libraries on Windows and OSX? No. Do I like the idea of D having a REPL?
Sure, and I'm thankful for it.

3. In the mythical organization, barring exceptional circumstances,
people don't tell their managers: "Well, I understand this task you
assigned to me is important, but it's hard to fix. Tell you what. I'll
work on something else instead."

Andrei