Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Joseph Cassman jc7919 at outlook.com
Tue Feb 11 12:40:23 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 20:02:45 UTC, Meta wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 17:55:36 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I think at this stage we need more people to start with.
>> Someone pointed out recently we have 77 lifetime contributors
>> to github, as opposed to e.g. Rust which has 292.
>
> It's unfortunate that D's biggest competitor is Rust. Being
> pushed by Mozilla means they automatically have access to a
> larger pool of contributors that contribute to other Mozilla
> stuff, who probably wouldn't have contributed to Rust otherwise.
>
> However, I think DDMD will bring about a small bump in
> contributors. Personally, I haven't used C++ in awhile, and
> I've grown rusty. At this point, D is probably the language I'm
> most comfortable with, especially for hacking on something
> complex like a compiler. I imagine there are at least a few
> people who feel the same way and are waiting for DDMD before
> they take a crack at contributing.

I have to agree. It's been over ten years since I have done any
C++ seriously and as a result feel a lot of friction when trying
to get up to speed on working with the D compiler code-base.
Truth be told, that is part of the reason I like D in the end,
it's not C++. Being able to use D to hack on the compiler would
make it much more feasible for me to contribute.

Joseph