D as A Better C?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Feb 11 12:42:24 PST 2014

Walter Bright:

> (First off, I hate the name "better C", any suggestions?)

A different name is needed.

> What do you think?

It must produce very small binaries.

If you import anything from Phobos it will not work in most
cases, even if the feature you are importing does not require GC,
druntime, etc, because in most cases other parts of the Phobos
module use them. Is this going to cause a fragmentation of Phobos?

What to do with dynamic array literals? In many cases they
allocate. A partial solution is to use the [...]s syntax for
fixed size array literals.

Constant associative arrays at global scope don't need the GC,
but they need the druntime, so I guess they too need to be
disallowed.

Bye,
bearophile