D as A Better C?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 12:47:12 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 20:02:37 UTC, Frustrated wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:56:11 UTC, Peter Alexander
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:43:00 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I think it would have little benefit and would just lead to
>> pointless fragmentation and maintenance for the compiler devs.
>
> Do you program on embedded systems? If not then do you think you
> are qualified to say it would have little benefit or not?

I do program on embedded systems.

I'll elaborate more on why I think this is a bad idea.

First, we are struggling immensely as it is to get D2 into a
complete state. Many parts of the language are still poorly
defined and even more poorly implemented. The standard library is
still lacking in critical areas and there are still thousands of
non-trivial bugs in the database. The language itself is still
evolving rapidly. Speaking optimistically, I think we are still a
few years away from resolving the existing language issues, based
on the current pace of things.

We're heading in the right direction now and even accelerating,
but I think it would be incredibly unwise to embark on a new
side-project, which would just consume dev time, pulling effort
away from D2 development. D1 was discontinued to spend more time
on D2, not to start new projects of debatable benefit.

Please let's finish this language before we start on another.