D as A Better C?

Xinok xinok at live.com
Tue Feb 11 13:13:22 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:43:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> What do you think?

I don't do embedded programming, so take my opinion with a grain
of salt...

Rather than making this a compiler switch, I think it would be
more beneficial to branch this off as a new project, essentially
building a new compiler. Similarly, it would contain that subset
of features which are practical for embedded programming and
strip out the rest. Then likewise to VisualD, make it an
"official" repository on GitHub.

The benefit of having a separate project dedicated to embedded
programming is the ability to retain a standard library without
convoluting the rest of the D ecosystem. A slim standard library
could be developed, mimicking (or even branched from) Phobos, but
optimized for embedded systems. As DMD is updated, the changes
would be merged into "embedded D", but otherwise the two would be
maintained independently of one another.

It wouldn't be too dissimilar to other projects like it. There
are projects which add non-official extensions to other
languages, such as adding a garbage collector to C/C++.