D as A Better C?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 13:13:56 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 20:53:06 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> But the feature would be very simple to implement. You just
> avoid outputting any runtime type info, and avoid any compiler
> hooks into the runtime.
>
> There is no requirement to do anything else. The language is
> finished. C's standard library becomes the standard library.

And how do people find out about this language? Won't it need to
be documented on the website? Where does that come from?

Will this be a separate project, or just the DMD compiler with
BETTER_C defines to mask out runtime hooks? If it's a separate
project, who's doing all the bug fix integrations from D2 proper
to better C? If it's the same project, who fixes the bugs when a
runtime hook is accidentally introduced by a dev that forgot
better C existed?

Who manages the releases of better C?

If this proves to be popular, do you really think there will be
no feature requests? (and if it's not popular, why do it in the
first place?)

Remember, D1 was just D2 without a bunch of features and we had
to discontinue that because it was taking too much time to
maintain. How will this be different?