D as A Better C?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 11 13:19:39 PST 2014

On 2/11/2014 1:00 PM, Brian Rogoff wrote:
> Which D metaprogramming (templates, mixins, ctfe, ..) features would be in this
> D subset?

All of them.

> Would the non-gc'ed functional programming features (downward funargs) be in the
> subset?

All of them.

> If the answers are "all and yes" I'd be very interested, if "none and no" then
> much less interested. Please say more about which features you expect to make
> the cut.

Associative arrays would not, as they rely on the GC.

It would require support for COMDATs from the linker, while C does not.
Fortunately, C++ adoption has pretty much driven COMDAT support into all the
linkers that matter.

> D-lite, while already used, is the natural name choiec.

Cute names are amusing for a few seconds, but they get old real fast.

> As others point out, there's some risk of fragmentation, but there's precedent
> even in unsubsettable languages like Ada (SPARK) so I don't think the risk is so
> great.

There's also precedent in C itself, as the C Standard codifies the notion of a
"freestanding" implementation of C, although that's not quite what we're talking
about here. Freestanding means no C runtime library, either.