D as A Better C?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:22:52 PST 2014

On 12 February 2014 07:12, Frank Bauer <y at z.com> wrote:

> Excellent idea. All the cries (including mine) for a non-GC D
> would stop at once.

No they wouldn't. This is not what I'm asking for in any of my posts.
This is almost exclusively useful in tiny-embedded environments (ie,
microcontrollers).

Instead, we could focus on gradually bringing
> all the remaining features of D-Full into D-Core over the next
> years. Walter would have to judge on that, but to an outsider it
> looks doable without too much resources.
>
> And, as I firmly believe, this could make the difference between
> D getting accepted by the C++ crowd on one side and D
> disappearing from the scene as just another C# / Java clone
> (untrue, but I talk about public perception).

I don't actually think this is what the 'no GC' crowd want. C++ programmers
will not be satisfied with this. They'll see it as a step backwards towards
C, not forwards.