D as A Better C?

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 21:22:14 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:43:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> The idea is to be able to use a subset of D that does not
> require any of druntime or phobos - it can be linked merely
> with the C standard library. To that end, there'd be a compiler
> switch (-betterC) which would enforce the subset.

I think it should be something acceptable for mainline, but
should be the pursuit of those who are going to use it to
implement it (unless other things finished).

I can not speak to the usefulness of this as I don't see myself
as a user, but it sounds like something which will be desired by
many (but I expect their to be other blockades preventing it from
being a major growth to D).