D as A Better C?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Wed Feb 12 00:34:10 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 February 2014 at 04:52:00 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:

> Well that should raise a question about the proper priorities.

My hope would be this would trickle down to GDC and I can use
that.

>> For all the people crying about forking the language, this
>> will only
>> fork the language as much as @safe did (ie not at all).
>
> As I told Walter: there's this joke that goes as follows. A guy
> goes to the doctor and the doctor asks "How is your sex life?"
> and the guy goes, "Almost every day!" "How do you mean that?"
> "Almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost on Wednesday..."

"I only try on Wednesday"

> We almost have a working @safe, we almost have good reference
> counting, we almost have good copy construction, we almost have
> a working "shared" qualifier, we almost have a solution to
> NonNull, we almost have complete qualifier inference, and we
> almost have a self-hosting compiler.

I'm not planning to stop working on the self-hosting compiler,
just working on the same thing constantly gets a bit boring
eventually, and half the time I'm blocked waiting for Walter to
approve something anyway. (Not currently!)

As for the others, I implemented most of @safe, and I don't
really care about the rest.

> Last thing we want is to add an almost working "better C"
> thingamaroo to the list.
>

> Andrei

The thing is, we do almost have it, because it's not a huge thing
to implement.  Low hanging fruit vs long-term priorities.