D as A Better C?

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl Dominikus.Scherkl at continental-corporation.com
Wed Feb 12 03:43:38 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:43:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I've toyed with this idea for a while, and wondered what the
> interest there is in something like this.
>
> The idea is to be able to use a subset of D that does not
> require any of druntime or phobos - it can be linked merely
> with the C standard library. To that end, there'd be a compiler
> switch (-betterC) which would enforce the subset.
as compiler switch I would call it according to what it does:

-noPhobos

The language itself shouldn't use a different name, if you need
to refer to it, I'd suggest to call it "d" (small D).

I find the idea intriguing - it could be useful pretty much
everywhere where still C is in use despite C++ exists for more
than two decades, not to mention other languages.