D as A Better C?

Brian Rogoff brogoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 08:29:07 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 February 2014 at 15:40:54 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> This would certainly be a useful feature to have when porting,
> and Walter clearly uses it himself.  Assuming this can be done
> with minimal work, I'd say make it a DMD thing rather than a D
> thing in general.  Like -profile.  And add a switch to enable
> it in the front-end if possible.  Then DMD (and potentially the
> other compilers) will have the feature in case anyone finds it
> useful and we can move on.  Call it -minimal.

Good compiler flag name choice.

> I have a feeling we've already spent more time talking about
> this than Walter would have spent implementing it anyway, so
> it's already taking time away from other things.  Let's just
> give it a nod and move on.

By 'nod' you mean Bugzilla entry, right? The flag would have to
be documented. While "better C" is descriptive, it's not very
helpful.

I like the idea a lot. If it's truly low hanging fruit, then yeah
it should be done, but I get the concerns that others have about
D and unfinished business. Tough decision!