D as A Better C?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Feb 12 08:49:45 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 February 2014 at 16:16:10 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 2/12/14, 12:34 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> The thing is, we do almost have it, because it's not a huge
>> thing to
>> implement.  Low hanging fruit vs long-term priorities.
>
> There's this thing in psychology - when confronted with too
> many unprioritized tasks, people will consistently choose the
> easiest ones.

Yep.  When overwhelmed, it's particularly welcome to be making
quantifiable progress on something.  Anything.  And in many cases
it really is worth interspersing the easy tasks with the hard
ones just to keep morale up, even if those easy tasks are really
not terribly important from a priorities perspective.  Of course,
the flip-side of that is feature creep, when too much time is
spent on the low-priority easy stuff.  I think every programmer
needs to learn this balance at some point, as an aid to avoiding
burnout.