Typed GC

thedeemon dlang at thedeemon.com
Wed Feb 12 09:50:24 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 February 2014 at 12:11:04 UTC, Shammah
Chancellor wrote:
> With all the talk of garbage collection.  I was wondering if it
> would be useful to make the GC typed.  If it was typed, it
> maybe be possible to make it more efficient via type
> information, (such as only scanning reference fields).   Also,
> it could have access to attribute information if applicable.
>
> -S.

This is how "almost precise" GC used in VisualD works. Type
information is used to mark all pointers in most heap objects,
but objects on stack and closures are still scanned
conservatively, IIRC. Unfortunately this GC is not included in
the  main D distribution, probably because it's considered to not
be tested well enough.