More Illuminating Introductory Code Example on dlang.org

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Feb 13 03:16:26 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 February 2014 at 20:49:54 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> On Wednesday 19:th of Februari I'm giving my first talk on D
> for my fellow collegues at my consultant firm office HiQ,
> Linköping, Sweden.
>
> If any of you are in the neighbourhood please let me know and I
> will invite you. The lecture will most likely be held in
> Swedish.
>
> I'll try to make my best to convince them that D is the way to
> go for the future of programming.
>
> On my strive I have one wish to the maintainers of dlang.org:
>
> I believe the first code example a newbie sees when he/she
> first visits dlang.org should be some variation of Walter's
> showcase on Component Programming including all the bells and
> whistles of lazy evaluted ranges.
>
> IMHO, this would increase the probability of the newbie staying
> a bit further on the site trying to figure out the details of
> what make this intriguing D code example tick. And, as a
> result, be more convinced about D's unique and powerful
> features.
>
> What do you think, fellow D programmers?

Ranges need definitely more examples, starting with the simplest
use cases going on to more advanced stuff (how to apply filters,
random access ranges). Especially the do's and donts (e.g. don't
put anything in popFront()), how to write a range properly, the
pitfalls, and maybe when not to use ranges. A lot of this "good
practices" stuff is missing for D. Often I find an example of
"good practice" randomly in a thread on this forum.

But not on the start page, that would be a bit OTT, wouldn't it?