One more question - an untapped audience.

Tofu Ninja emmons0 at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 13 08:40:11 PST 2014

On Thursday, 13 February 2014 at 15:58:44 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:

> I just happen to think D is a great language!

Thats not even up for debate, D IS GREAT! The problem is just
convincing the rest of the world that it is, but thus is the task
of the lucky few who have seen the light.

Jokes aside, I don't think making it possible to write D on a
smartphone would help get D(or any language for that matter) into
the hands of kids in the developing world. Today you can by a
laptop now for the same price of a midrange smartphone with much
more power. Though the smartphone has the advantage of the
internet which is essentially required to do anything programing
wise but it is certainly possible get the internet elsewhere.
Although if we are talking about a developing country then I
suppose they might not have the infrastructure to support
landline.

In reality I think there are many other more difficult barriers
to learning to program in a developing country. For one it is
basically required to know english to become a proficient
programer(almost all documentation is written in english). It
requires ample amounts of free time and regular access to a
computer with an internet connection, I don't think a smart phone
would cut it. Also I think the cultivation "intellectual" skills
require an environment that allows you to not have to worry about
basic needs and just focus on developing the skill.