GSoC mentorship and czardom redux. We have 12 hours.

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Feb 13 10:38:43 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

Following my call for GSoC would-be mentors we got exactly one offer,
from Russell Winder. Thanks! (There has been no response whatsoever on
the czardom position.)

Needless to say, if we don't have a good pool of mentors we'll be forced
to retract our GSoC submission.

Walter and I are are also in crunch mode reviewing DConf submissions
(subject of an upcoming post). I am overdue on reviewing a new book
proposal on D literally today. All of this takes away from other high
scrutiny work that we are, rightly or wrongly, perceived as the
bottleneck of.

"Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die," the saying
goes. There has been lively debate recently in this forum about how our
community can organize itself better, during which there was no shortage
of advice regarding things that should be done. Now here we are - laid
as bare as it gets in front of us all is an opportunity for each and
every one of us to make a large and positive impact on the future of D.
There's no better opportunity to act on an obviously good chance to push
the D language further.

I'll make tonight an executive decision about our participation to GSoC
this year. A strong GSoC leader would be fantastic. At the very minimum
we need a handful of mentors. Your turn.

Andrei