D: pay for what you use?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Feb 13 11:46:21 PST 2014

Am 13.02.2014 19:06, schrieb bearophile:
> Rel:
>
>> It would be great if D would have the same "pay for what you use" way,
>> as C/C++ do.
>
> While D is nearly a system language, its design doesn't follow that C++
> rule fully. In some cases paying a little is OK for D, if it makes lot
> of other code safer, shorter, nicer, etc.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

I agree, I rather pay a little more like in Modula-2 and Ada, than have
what C++ has become.

It is always a mess to link in third party libraries if they have
decided to pay for a different set of things one is willing to pay for.

And to be honest, even when I used to do systems level programming back
in MS-DOS days and my early UNIX days, I never felt the need for such
approach.

I think it was a design decision to bring to C++, the C developers that
use it as a portable macro assembler.

--
Paulo