GSoC mentorship and czardom redux. We have 12 hours.

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Thu Feb 13 13:50:14 PST 2014

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> Following my call for GSoC would-be mentors we got exactly one
> offer, from Russell Winder. Thanks! (There has been no response
> whatsoever on the czardom position.)
>
> Needless to say, if we don't have a good pool of mentors we'll be
> forced to retract our GSoC submission.
>
> Walter and I are are also in crunch mode reviewing DConf submissions
> (subject of an upcoming post). I am overdue on reviewing a new book
> proposal on D literally today. All of this takes away from other
> high scrutiny work that we are, rightly or wrongly, perceived as the
> bottleneck of.
>
> "Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die," the
> saying goes. There has been lively debate recently in this forum
> about how our community can organize itself better, during which
> there was no shortage of advice regarding things that should be
> done. Now here we are - laid as bare as it gets in front of us all
> is an opportunity for each and every one of us to make a large and
> positive impact on the future of D. There's no better opportunity to
> act on an obviously good chance to push the D language further.
>
> I'll make tonight an executive decision about our participation to
> GSoC this year. A strong GSoC leader would be fantastic. At the very
> minimum we need a handful of mentors. Your turn.

I'm happy to mentor.
std.socket needs revision. I'd like to see std.log getting done. Also
std.benchmark. std.units is interesting, too. A linear algebra
library aka std.numeric.matrix is probably bigger but not less
interesting.
Count me in on any on these. BTW these are mentioned on older GSoC
pages.

Jens