Close D1 bugs?

Daniel Murphy yebbliesnospam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 02:30:34 PST 2014

"ed"  wrote in message news:qpkejaxtasbzakgprzti at forum.dlang.org...

> > As the "official support for D1" has been discontinued in 2012,
> > shouldn't one expect the official bug tracker to close anything
> > D1-related too ?
>
> Why? Does it affect D2 in any way if D1 bugs are in the bug
> tracker(besides some meaningless stats)?. Just because it is offically
> deprecated and not supported doesn't not imply there is no support at all.

It affects the people using and maintaining the bug tracker due to the false
positives it generates.

> > Last but not least, there is the risk that bugs, once fixed for D2,
> > turns into D1 bugs, which would harm our statistics and may bug some
> > other tools (bountysource ?). Take a look at #10217 as an example.
>
> So? Then change the version to D1 only.

No, this won't work, because you actually have two separate issues, one for
D1 and one for D2, one fixed and the other open.  eg the changelog is
generated from the list of RESOLVED FIXED bugs, and won't pick up ones that
changed status.

> Focus should be on actually fixing bugs, not some feelgood numbers coming
> out of the bug tracker stats. Besides, I doubt there is any real negative
> impact on D as a result of the bug tracker numbers at this stage. Maybe
> worry about that when evidence suggests otherwise.

This is coming from the people who are fixing bugs.  This issues gets in the
way of doing so.  I couldn't care less about the numbers.