TypeInfo in the library

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 07:32:21 PST 2014

On Friday, 14 February 2014 at 09:09:42 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> But that would mean that you have to pull the implementation of
> casts and other features that rely on TypeInfo right now into
> the library too.

They already are: druntime/src/rt/cast_.d I wouldn't change that,
I'm more thinking about changing rt/typeinfo/*.d from being
hand-written to auto generated by a template and moving the
object size and layout from the compiler (see verifyStructSize in
dmd) to the druntime code too.

No phobos here, that would definitely be a bad idea.

> making at lot harder to use D without phobos unless you want to
> rewrite the entire TypeInfo and all features depending on it.

Right now, if you try to use D without druntime, it will complain
about missing typeinfos and force you to create the classes with
a particular size. Much of it can be auto generated by templates
now (which gives a lot of cool flexibility btw), but you are
still locked into the compiler's fairly strict layout. I want to
open up some flexibility.