OS X GUI library

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Feb 14 10:49:03 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 18:17 +0000, Anton wrote:
[…]
> I am an OS X user and pretty much beginner in D who wants to
> write a simple application with a GUI. I know that GtkD is the
> most stable cross-platform GUI library out there, but for
> whatever reason after a full day of doing all sorts of things
> with it I can't get it to work on my Mac. I was going to post a
> question on the GtkD forums, but seeing that the latest post on
> there was from May of last year discouraged me from doing that.

GTK on anything other than Linux remains a real pain.

> QtD seems to have been abandoned. Most other libraries either
> have little support for OS X (it seems that OS X users of D are
> practically non-existent, which I suppose is too bad for me), or
> have been left to wither away, too.

Qt is the most portable of frameworks other than wxWidgets. With Qt5
there is the whole QML thing which is really quite good. There was some
effort to try and get QtD restarted, but it has stalled a bit. I have to
admit I departed D + QtD for Go + goqml since the former needs effort
and the latter has got it. However I have conflict with this as I much
prefer D over Go.

> Is there a more or less stable GUI library with decent support
> for OS X, with good documentation and/or examples *in D* (that
> is, not C, C++, or Java)?

I suspect not.

--
Russel.