OS X GUI library

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Feb 14 23:21:49 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 23:58 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-02-14 20:15, Gary Willoughby wrote:
>
> > tcltk on Windows depends on ActiveTcl[2] being installed, but i'm going
> > to compile my own DLLs to avoid this in future (Linux and Mac already
> > have this installed). And x11 on MacOS depends on XQuartz[3] being
> > installed which is unavoidable. (Linux uses this as default and on
> > Windows the Win32 API is used instead.)
>
> I would say that anything using X11 on OS X is unacceptable.

Agreed.

All Python folk doing cross-platform work use Qt AFAIK

Tkinter is ancient and shows it, despite the make over a few years back.
There are some adherents (because it comes standard with all Python
distributions), but most people treat it as unusable legacy.

There is an attempt to create a replacement for the turtle package (*)
based on direct OpenGL rendering, but sadly the energy generated during
the sprint at PyConUK 2014 has petered out a bit and progress is now
slow.

(*) which is really the last useful thing based on Tkinter.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk