Raw binary(to work without OS) in D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Feb 15 00:38:30 PST 2014

On 6/22/2012 11:21 AM, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Friday, 22 June 2012 at 15:12:13 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>
> Isn't the quote
>> If you can't figure it out on your own, chances are you won't be able to
> do what you wanted in the first place
> just saying I'm too stupid for this to help me anyway?

No, that quote is merely pointing out, for cautionary purposes, that the
task you're ultimately trying to do is typically either equally
difficult, or more difficult, than this first step you're currently on.
If I'm reading correctly, he simply doesn't want you to end up being
unpleasantly surprised by what you may face once you do reach that point.

But explaining it that way is verbose and difficult (I spent entirely
too long figuring out how to word it - and I'm a native speaker), so he
wrote it in a more straightforward way: As an "A implies B" relation, ie
an rather frank and blunt "if...then".

(AIUI, anyway)

Slight soapbox, not directed at anyone in particular:

Emotion tends to severely complicate communication, so for technical
things (which tend to *already* be difficult to communicate), a person
speaking/writing will frequently need to disregard emotion-related
concerns in their choice of wording. Therefore, when reading/listening,
it's best to "Be like Spock, not Bones" and always assume anything that
*can* be interpreted unemotionally or benign was *intended* to be
unemotional and benign, regardless of whether or not that might be a
false assumption.

Granted, as a reader/listener, there have been plenty of times I've
colossally failed to follow that guideline, so I'm certainly not immune
from such failings myself. But it's a working theory I've formulated
after being in (and near) a few too many flamewars, and FWIW I think
it's fairly sound.