[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Re: Generics false dichotomy]

logicchains jonathan.t.barnard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:59:14 PST 2014

On Sunday, 16 February 2014 at 20:29:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It's not exactly true. What has happened is I spent a LOT of
> time trying to make my C/C++ compiler fast. That experience has
> enabled me to design D so it is fundamentally fast to compile,
> and enabled me to pick an internal design for the compiler that
> I know will be fast.

Isn't this kind of the point? The Go devs don't have the somewhat
unique experience of having written a C++ compiler from scratch
to guide them in implementing generics in Go, so it doesn't make
practical sense to say "D has fast-compiling generics, so why
can't Go?". Just because a good generics system is theoretically
possible, doesn't mean it's easy to design. Personally, I think
comparing C++ to C shows that no generics is better than poorly
designed generics (C++ templates).