[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Re: Generics false dichotomy]

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Feb 16 22:32:17 PST 2014

On Monday, 17 February 2014 at 05:51:09 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On 2/16/2014 10:59 PM, logicchains wrote:
>> On Sunday, 16 February 2014 at 20:29:04 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> It's not exactly true. What has happened is I spent a LOT of
>>> time
>>> trying to make my C/C++ compiler fast. That experience has
>>> enabled me
>>> to design D so it is fundamentally fast to compile, and
>>> enabled me to
>>> pick an internal design for the compiler that I know will be
>>> fast.
>>
>> Isn't this kind of the point? The Go devs don't have the
>> somewhat unique
>> experience of having written a C++ compiler from scratch to
>> guide them
>> in implementing generics in Go,
>
> The Go devs have some pretty strong backgrounds themselves. I
> think it's reasonable to figure they can handle the task just
> fine.

I partly agree.

If you follow the discussions, they seem to focus mainly in Java,
C++, while ignoring D, Ada, Eiffel, Modula-3, OCaml, Haskell,
.NET and a few others.

> Besides, I suspect the #1 optimization in making a
> fast-to-compile language is just simply "Don't make C++".

Well, supporting modules would already help. With luck C++ will
get them around 2020. I think it won't matter by then.

--
Paulo