C++ Binding Generator

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 12:28:09 PST 2014

Le 17/02/2014 08:48, w0rp a écrit :
> On Monday, 17 February 2014 at 01:16:44 UTC, Xavier Bigand wrote:
>> Le 17/02/2014 01:36, w0rp a écrit :
>>> On Saturday, 15 February 2014 at 03:36:29 UTC, michaelc37 wrote:
>>> I'll try Qt5 later. The main reason I'm trying to get Qt4 working at the
>>> moment is that I have experience with Qt4, but not with Qt5, and from my
>>> understanding a lot of the advantages of Qt5 come from QML, and I don't
>>> quite understand yet how QML would tie together with a D API.
>>
>> If someone is interested by Qt mainly for QML, maybe the better way is
>> to help us on DQuick, cause it's really similar, but we try to take
>> advantages of D to do something more friendly.
>
> Writing a native D GUI library instead of wrapping a C++ one is a good
> idea. My big problem with the wrapper around Qt I'm building is that it
> will never run as efficiently as a Qt application written in C++ would,
> so that might turn some people away. The main advantage of writing the
> wrapper is pretty much that it's just less work, as creating a cross
> platform toolkit with an API as nice as Qt's takes a lot of time and
> effort.

Yep, that why we are focus on the smallest part of Qt needed to create
GUI. IMO all features of QtCore have to be directly in phobos (Network,
serialization, signals,...), so only Widgets and QtQuick API stay here.

The advantage of QtQuick his the modernity and it stay really small,
it's mainly a script engine (property binding) coupled with a 2D modern
renderer based on rasterization.
We took lua as script language cause it can support property bindings
without modifications. And the renderer just wait for contributions, the
minimal functional target isn't really hard to get.

But polish stay hard to do.