mysql-native: newbie questions

simendsjo simendsjo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 17:04:08 PST 2014

On Monday, 17 February 2014 at 22:54:58 UTC, salvari wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> After 14 years using Perl for programming at job I'm now
> learning D. (And enjoying it)

Hi, and welcome.

(...)
> As a newbie I've a few questions. I'm already using D and it's
> working fine, although I'm writing baby-D the performance
> improvement is impressive, I'm now trying to use mysql native
> access. It seems there are two possibilities:
>
> - https://github.com/simendsjo/mysqln
> - https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/mysql-native
>
> So far we've tried the second one, mysql-native, with success
> while using rdmd, but I've failed to compile using dmd, (the
> rather cryptic message from the compiler it's attached at the
> end of this entry).

You're right in picking the rejectedsoftware repo. The first one
is in a state of flux while experimenting with a near complete
rewrite and a new API.

The rejectedsoftware repo is based on an earlier version of mine
which in turn is based on the original by Steve Teale (britseye).

(... lots of compiler errors ...)

What you are seeing are missing dependencies. DMD won't figure
out dependencies you are using without you specifying it in
detail.

You should be using dub directly rather than dmd. Specify your
dependencies in the package.json file, and use "dub run" to run
the application.

I created a video tutorial a couple of days ago that might help
you get started using dub: http://youtu.be/8TV9ZZteYEU