switch()

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:35:55 PST 2014

On 18 February 2014 08:31, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 2/17/2014 5:48 AM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/14, 5:03 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> It originally was not required, but there was a campaign by a lot of D
>>> users to make it required to deal with the common bug of adding a value
>>> in one switch statement but forgetting to add it to another
>>> corresponding one.
>>>

>> Could you show an example of such scenario? I don't get it.
>>

> Having a set of bit flags, and adding another bit flag later, and failing
> to account for that in existing switch statements.

It sounds like that's basically the same as final switch, just without the
enum key to communicate the strong concept.

If I were to imagine a solution to that problem I would have also applied
final switch, but in the case it's dealing with integers and not enums and
therefore can't know which values are valid and tell you that you missed
one, it should insert an implicit 'default: assert(0);' (since final switch
isn't meant to have 'default' cases), this way any case you don't
explicitly handle is considered invalid, and you'll catch your mistake
immediately. I expect final switch on enum's must do this anyway (at least
in debug)? It's possible to receive a value that's not a recognised enum
key; what happens in that case?
It seems effectively the same to me.