[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Re: Generics false dichotomy]

logicchains jonathan.t.barnard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 22:50:35 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 February 2014 at 05:11:00 UTC, Jesse Phillips
wrote:
> Of course, implementing generics isn't going to be enough for
> me. It is just an indicator. You are correct that they will
> want to get the implementation correct and avoid ruining "Go"
> as we know it; that just means they'll avoid all the other
> positive things I enjoy about D's templates and
> meta-programming features.

Maybe it'd help things if they just directed any inquiries
regarding generics to the most popular preprocessor package?
There are a few around the community. I even wrote a tiny one
myself this morning; it can only handle simple functions like:
func myFun<T, S>(a, b ~T, u, v ~S) (~T, ~S, ~S){
     return a + b, u*u, v*v
}

Nothing like D's capabilities, but it's enough for most of my
needs. What's the problem with just using an unofficial
preprocessor for generics? If one package became popular enough
amongst the community, that might be enough to convince the devs
to adopt it when Go 2.0 comes around.