Developing Mars lander software

Xinok xinok at live.com
Tue Feb 18 17:09:42 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 at 00:16:03 UTC, Tolga Cakiroglu
wrote:

> TL;DR the link though, how are they detecting that a CPU fails?
> An information must be passes outside of CPU to do this. The
> only solution comes to my mind is that main CPU changes a
> variable on an external memory at every step, and back up CPU
> checks it continuously to catch a failure immediately. But this
> would require about 50% of CPU's power already.
>
> While thinking about this kind of back up systems, knowing and
> reading that some people are really doing is really great.

I'm assuming this has something to do with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbeat_%28computing%29

In clustered servers, the active node sends a continuous signal
indicating it's still alive. This signal is referred to as a
heartbeat. There's a standby node waiting to take over should it
stop receiving this signal.