Read and write gzip files easily.

Kamil Slowikowski kslowikowski at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 07:51:51 PST 2014

Hi there, I'm new to D and have a lot of learning ahead of me. It
would
be extremely helpful to me if someone with D experience could
show me
some code examples.

I'd like to neatly read and write gzipped files for my work. I
have read
several threads on these forums on the topic of std.zlib or
std.zip and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Here's a Python script that does what I want. Can you please show
me
an example in D that does the same thing?

<code>
#!/usr/bin/env python

import gzip

# Read a gzipped file and print the contents line by line.
with gzip.open("input.gz") as stream:
     for line in stream:
         print line

# Write some text to a gzipped file.
with gzip.open("output.gz", "w") as stream:
     stream.write("some output goes here\n")
</code>

I have a second request. I would like to start using D more in my
work,
and in particular I would like to use and extend the BioD
library. Artem
Tarasov made a nice module to handle BGZF, and I would like to
see an
example like my Python code above using Artem's module.

Read more about BGZF:
http://blastedbio.blogspot.com/2011/11/bgzf-blocked-bigger-better-gzip.html

BioD:
https://github.com/biod/BioD/blob/d2bea0a0da63eb820fcf11ae367456b2c367ec04/bio/core/bgzf/compress.d