Read and write gzip files easily.

Kamil Slowikowski kslowikowski at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 10:06:02 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 at 16:27:32 UTC, Artem Tarasov
wrote:
> the easiest way that I
> know of is as follows:
>
> import std.stdio, std.process;
> auto pipe = pipeShell("gunzip -c " ~ filename); // replace with
> pigz if you
> wish
> File input = pipe.stdout;

Artem, thank you! I've used a similar trick in the past with
Python because calling the system's gzip or pigz in a
subprocess.Pipe is faster than using the python gzip module. I'm
very glad to see how easy it is in D.

> Regarding your second request, this forum is not an appropriate
> place to
> provide usage examples for a library, so that will go into a
> private e-mail.

Thanks, again! I'm looking forward to hearing from you :)

@Adam D. Ruppe
Thanks for your example! I couldn't find such an example anywhere
on the web.

@Craig Dillabaugh
Please feel free to move the thread, sorry for posting in the
wrong place.