Azul talk about Java use in low latency trading systems. Relevant due to their pauseless GC

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Feb 20 08:45:27 PST 2014

Howard Green:

> We do have a fairly rigorous paper that was delivered at ISMM in
> 2011 that describes the C4 garbage collector, for those
> interested. Link is http://www.azulsystems.com/resources/wp/c4
> (no registration required)

Thank you, we are interested. D language has a very Java-like
OOP, but for most D code the allocation patterns are different
from Java apps. In D structs (and arrays allocated in place) are
common, so quite less garbage is produced. And while the D specs
are designed to allow a moving GC, in practice there's also the
need for some pinned down objects, as in C#, for access to C libs.

Hopefully we'll have a wonderful GC for the D language ;-)

Bye,
bearophile