[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Re: Generics false dichotomy]

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Feb 20 14:33:38 PST 2014

Am 20.02.2014 23:09, schrieb Walter Bright:
> On 2/20/2014 12:17 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> I used common base object in Turbo Pascal, C++, Oberon(-2), Java and C#,
>> before the said languages got any form of generics.
>> I don't miss those days.
>
> Isn't it interesting how the "OOP everywhere" mantra of the late 80's /
> early 90's has largely disappeared?

Yes, like every new paradigm I think people tend to go overboard.

Last example is the discussion about OOP vs FP, when most languages used
in such discussions are actually multi-paradigm, even if they are
functional first vs object first.

Regarding OO, it is interesting to see how after all those years we are
finally getting to the interfaces/traits usage coupled with generics,
with little inheritance. Ideally of course, many people still haven't
got to it.

--
Paulo