Ada conference, Ada and Spark

Brian Rogoff brogoff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 07:51:45 PST 2014

On Friday, 21 February 2014 at 14:27:48 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 21 February 2014 at 13:08:37 UTC, Francesco
> Cattoglio wrote:
>> On Friday, 21 February 2014 at 12:56:32 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> That is easy to answer, I doubt they could with their rule of
>>> not having more than 5 characters per keyword. :)
>> Wait, what? REALLY????? What kind of rule is that.
>> ahahahha... are they stuck to the 70's? :D
>
> Yes really,
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/glnafbocwjodiwrqwmbv@forum.dlang.org
>
> I just cannot find the Reddit thread any longer.

Obviously, there is no rule in Rust that keywords have no more
than 5 letters (return, extern, ...) but the designers favor
short keywords, maybe a bit much for my taste. OTOH, I prefer
their preference for favoring immutability and expression
oriented style to D's statement oriented preference. The latest
version of Ada tries to fix Ada a bit in this regard

http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/12rat/html/Rat12-1-3-2.html

but it's a bit late. I'm glad to hear that Ada use is increasing
somewhere, but I don't see it in any market I look at.

The Rust designers are targetting C and C++ users, with a
different vision than Walter and Andrei's as to what constitutes
"C++ done right", and some specific applications, like Servo.

-- Brian