DIP56 Provide pragma to control function inlining

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Feb 23 05:06:24 PST 2014

On 23/02/2014 13:07, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP56
>
> Manu has needed always inlining, and I've needed never inlining. This DIP
> proposes a simple solution.

Sounds good in principle.  So, if I understand right, a pragma(inline, true)
anywhere inside a function adds a compiler hint to always inline this function,
while with false it's a hint to _never_ do so, and no pragma at all gives the
usual compiler-decides situation?

Question: what happens if someone is daft enough to put both true and false
inside the same function?

In any case, could you possibly provide a slightly more detailed code example
with accompanying explanation of what the intended results are?