Strategy for Traction

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Feb 23 22:36:01 PST 2014

On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 19:53 +0000, bearophile wrote:
> Russel Winder:
>
> > Those in the Python side of the game disliked C and C++ co much
> > they created abstractions, ending up with NumPy, Cython,
> > ShedSkin,
>
> Unfortunately ShedSkin is now essentially dead. And Julia could
> replace Python in some usages, because of its performance.

ShedSkin certainly isn't keeping up with the programme and working with
Python 3 so I have never tried it.

Julia is a system I keep up with, it is splendid. And there is even now
a London Julia user group.

User group activity is likely a measure of involvement: Java and JVM
technology groups have no problem having meetings with attenders. Go
went from 20 → 120 attenders per month in a year. Python has activity.
Julia has a new user group.

I suspect D has no user group activity because it is a 10 year old
language very few people have heard about. It needs a marketing reboot
so as to be new and exciting and attract people to attend meetings.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk