Strategy for Traction

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 02:30:28 PST 2014

On Monday, 24 February 2014 at 10:21:52 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 19:53 +0000, bearophile wrote:
> […]
>> Unfortunately ShedSkin is now essentially dead. And Julia
>> could replace Python in some usages, because of its
>> performance.
>
> I have it on good authority, i.e. from a person writing a book
> who has
> the ShedSkin author as a reviewer, that ShedSkin never took
> off. It is
> not dead. This same author may pick up and run with ShedSkin
> over the
> summer. Of course there is also Pythran.
>
> Same author confirms that there is a lot of leaving Java for
> Python, not
> to mention IPython now connects to Julia as well as SciPy.
>
> Definitely an ideal time for D to have a high profile as a
> computational
> language that is easy to program with and connects easily to
> Python.

ShedSkin never took off but I benched it a few years ago and
psyco was just as fast and was much easier to use. It seems to me
that the make-python-go-fast community are mainly focussing on
pypy which to me is much more promising. Converting python to C++
(like shedskin does) seems doomed to me, given the dynamic
typing, JIT seems far better suited.