Strategy for Traction

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 03:25:16 PST 2014

On Monday, 24 February 2014 at 10:17:53 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> From my personal perspective I've noticed a really heavy focus
> here on C++ refugees - that's just an observation, not a
> criticism. For instance, there are sometimes questions about
> what to use as a Set. The answer revolves around how only an
> incompetent doesn't pay attention to exactly what sort of set
> they need. However, from a python programmer's perspective we
> just want a Set to hold a dozen objects, I don't care if it
> takes 1 nanosecond or 1.5 nanoseconds to run. Set also reads
> better that RedBlackTree etc.
>
> So, I think that D has a lot to offer those wanting to move on
> from python. With that in mind I'd like to see the equivalent
> of numpy/scipy etc. for D. At the moment that's just wishful
> thinking though (IMHO) because it's the people, drive and
> experience to actually build those tools that is required, and
> that's really hard to come by.

This semester I'm having to learn Python as part of my degree.
Unfortunately.
 From a period of 5 hours today I have already gleamed this:
Python community doesn't really care about 64 bit much; 50 ways
to do something? sure but lets not make it really really amazing.
Over complicated? not really, needs more in fact.

 From coming from the D perspective it can be quite challenging
for me. I would rather as a community we focus on projects
together (which we do quite well already) than split off and do
our own thing.
The other thing is, making things just work. In as many use cases
as possible.

I usually go in the deep end when I start learning a language so
this probably doesn't reflect the python community completely.