Strategy for Traction

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 04:00:11 PST 2014

On Monday, 24 February 2014 at 11:25:18 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:

> This semester I'm having to learn Python as part of my degree.
> Unfortunately.
> From a period of 5 hours today I have already gleamed this:

You youngsters, you learn it all so fast! (Just kidding :-)))

> Python community doesn't really care about 64 bit much;

OK maybe

>50 ways to do something? sure

But the python principle is "there's only one way to do it"

> but lets not make it really really amazing.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough :-)

Building very large systems is best done like laying out a
tableau of cards, you do the first 7, then another 7 on top etc.
If you try to get it perfect first time you'll get it wrong and
probably never finish it anyway.

> Over complicated? not really, needs more in fact.

Not sure what you mean?

> From coming from the D perspective it can be quite challenging
> for me. I would rather as a community we focus on projects
> together (which we do quite well already) than split off and do
> our own thing.
> The other thing is, making things just work. In as many use
> cases as possible.

With open source projects each person scratches their own itch -
it's really hard to find people who will do what other people
want, for free. Having said that, I'm not sure what you mean, can
you elaborate?

> I usually go in the deep end when I start learning a language
> so this probably doesn't reflect the python community
> completely.

It's a very large heterogeneous community so hard to typecast...

I'm very interested in how you get on so keep posting...