Formal review of std.lexer

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 14:14:33 PST 2014

On Friday, 21 February 2014 at 12:12:17 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Review/std.lexer
>
> This is follow-up by Brian to his earlier proposal
> (http://wiki.dlang.org/Review/std.d.lexer). This time proposed
> module focuses instead on generic lexer generation as discussed
> in matching voting thread.
>
> Docs:
> http://hackerpilot.github.io/experimental/std_lexer/phobos/lexer.html
> Code:
> https://github.com/Hackerpilot/Dscanner/blob/master/stdx/lexer.d
>
> Example topics to evaluate during review:
>  - Feasibility of overall design and concept
>  - Quality of documentation
>  - Consistency with existing Phobos modules
>  - Overall quality of implementation
>
> Initial review will end on March the 8th.

No criticism should stop this module being accepted, as we do not
have any other lexer in the runtime anyway. Therefore I suggest
we accept std.lexer until a better solution comes up. Naturally
anyone should be encouraged to provide a better solution by
submitting a pull request to Phobos developers...

So far I haven't seen a better lexer for D source than Brian's
std.lexer. If anyone has, please let me know.