Formal review of std.lexer

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:36:43 PST 2014

On Monday, 24 February 2014 at 23:07:07 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Well, we keep voting down replacement candidates, which
> incidentally, is exactly what happened with the std.signals
> replacement, so I view this as an orthogonal issue to whether
> or not it should be included after passing a review. I don't
> think the fact that a module might not be perfect after review
> should stop us from approving a module that offers completely
> new functionality AND passed a review. Handling the problems
> after inclusion is what bugzilla is for.

I guess std.signals was a bad example, as there *was* a proposed
replacement. However, there were real problems with the
replacement that made it not suitable for inclusion. If I recall,
these were largely API issues, which are the hardest to change.
If we had've accepted the new std.signals despite the issues
raised, several years down the road it might turn out to be as
broken as the old implementation (no offense to the author, this
is just for the sake of argument), and we are unable to replace
it for fear of breaking code. There are then 2 options: support
the old API with its broken behaviour in the same module as the
new API, or introduce std.signals2 or the like, which people have
shown resistance to in the past. I think that it's very important
to be careful as to what goes into Phobos at this point, as it's
going to become increasingly difficult to change anything.