Cumulative

Shammah Chancellor anonymous at coward.com
Mon Feb 24 19:13:22 PST 2014

On 2014-02-25 01:08:47 +0000, Tofu Ninja said:

> On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 at 00:55:55 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
>> Also, in some cases it is not enough just to ensure that it is called,
>> some times you will want to make sure that it is called at the
>> beginning or end of the function. Though this is harder to get right,
>> not really sure how it would work with returns.
>
> In the case where it would be needed to be called at the beginning or
> the end of the new method. The compiler might be able to implicitly add
> it in itself, similar to how super(); is implicitly added to the
> beginning of overridden constructors.

So far as I'm understanding this thread,  Steve Teale is asking for a
way to inject code before and after a call to a function from other
places in the program.   E.g. Write some function foo, write some
function bar, and specify that any time foo is called, bar should be
called immediately after *automagically*.

The reason this hasn't been done in any language I'm aware of is
because you can solve the same problem using existing polymorphism, and
it's a horribly awful design practice to have hidden code like that.

-S.