Practical Problems with distribution D projects

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 07:02:57 PST 2014

On 2/25/2014 11:52 PM, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> On 02/25/2014 12:09 AM, Artem Tarasov wrote:

> On 02/24/2014 09:09 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:> On Tuesday, 25 February
> 2014 at 01:21:03 UTC, Assaf Gordon wrote:
>>
>> dmd does not require root. The install instructions about copying
>> stuff into /etc and such are ridiculously overcomplicated - dmd
>> actually just works* if you run it straight out of the zip as any
>> regular user in any location.
>>

>  From a non-expert unix POV -
> Either you download and install the package (deb/rpm) which is easy but
> requires root,
> or you download and compile the sources from the source zip - which is
> complicated.

You don't need to compile anything. There are precompiled binaries for
32- and 64-bit Linux in the zip. I'm no Linux expert (far, far from it).
I'm not even what you would call a casual user. But when I do need to
boot into Linux for one thing or another (which is rare), I unzip the
latest binaries into my user directory and away I go. The only thing
I've ever configured is putting the appropriate bin directory on the
path, but that's it.